The Greek Orthodox Ladies Philoptochos Society, Inc., is the duly accredited women's philanthropic society of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America. Every parish has its own local chapter which adheres to the official mission of the national organization which is:
To help the poor, the destitute, the hungry, the aged, the sick, the unemployed, the orphaned, the imprisoned, the widowed, the handicapped, the victims of disasters, to undertake the burial of impoverished persons and to offer assistance to anyone who may need the help of the Church through fund raising efforts; and
To promote the charitable, benevolent, and philanthropic purposes of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America, through instructional programs, presentations, lectures, seminars and other educational resources;
To preserve and perpetuate Orthodox Christian concepts and the Orthodox Christian Family, and through them, to promote the Greek Orthodox Faith and traditions, in accordance with its doctrines, canons, discipline, divine worship, usages and customs;
To promote participation in the activities of the Greek Orthodox community, with the cooperation of the Parish Priest and the Parish Council.
The charitable work of the Society shall be performed with discretion, courtesy and kindness.
The St. George local chapter, named for Sts. Kosmas and Damianos, was chartered in 1934. In addition to our charitable work, members enjoy social occasions during the ecclesiastical calendar year. Meetings are held the third Thursday of the month at 6:30 pm from September through May. Coffee and refreshments are served.
In addition to supporting National and Direct Archdiocesan District ministry programs, our local chapter supports charitable organizations in the capital district such as The City Mission of Schenectady, Salvation Army Soup Kitchen, Bethesda House, YWCA Battered Women’s Shelter, and Center for Disability Services to name a few.
Ladies Philoptochos Society Board of Directors 2019 - 2021